4 hours agoApril 23, 2014
6 hours agoApril 23, 2014
2 days agoApril 21, 2014
5 days agoApril 18, 2014
6 days agoApril 17, 2014
1 week agoApril 15, 2014
1 week agoApril 12, 2014
Mentally ill people aren’t killers. Angry people are.
Some choice quotes:
- Violence is not a product of mental illness; violence is a product of anger. When we cannot modulate anger, it will control our behavior.
- Violent crimes are committed by people who lack the skills to modulate anger, express it constructively, and move beyond it.
- Violence is a product of compromised anger management skills.
- Violent crimes committed by people with severe mental illnesses get a lot of attention, but such attacks are relatively rare. … “Violence by those with mental illness is so small that even if you could somehow cure it all, 95 percent of violent crime would still exist.”
- With no clear explanation of the causes of violent crime from the mental health field, and with significant encouragement from the gun lobby, the public has begun to seize on the wrong explanation for tragic, violent events. …ignoring the fact that what the perpetrators have in common in every single one of these cases is a loss of control of their anger.
"It’s all about anger" is a bit over-simplified, given there are many patterns of violence that aren’t primarily driven by the perpetrators’ anger. But the argument still rings largely true, especially in the domestic and social situations most of us are likely to encounter violence.
Anger, frustration, and the non-linear amplification of anger, anxiety, and other emotional responses that accompany acute stress events is often the fuel that escalates from harsh words to physical violence, assaults, fatal violence, and even multiple fatalities.
This understanding also leads to ways to reduce violence. Certainly not “lethal weapons for everyone!” But helping to reduce the anger, anxiety, and chaos in people’s lives. Diffusing and de-escalating anger, helping people to recognize it, channel it, reduce it, control it. Maybe “meditation for everyone” rather than 9mm pistols all around.
2 weeks agoApril 9, 2014
2 weeks agoApril 3, 2014
2 weeks agoApril 3, 2014
3 weeks agoMarch 29, 2014
2 months agoFebruary 4, 2014
3 months agoJanuary 17, 2014
3 months agoJanuary 7, 2014
Choose A Number?
So everyone’s apparently choosing quasi-random identifying numbers and other people are commenting on them pseudo-anonymously? This is yet another one of those “I’m bored” Tumblr games, isn’t it?
I don’t really know the rules, but if we have to choose a number, I pick sqrt(-2).
Yes, it’s a complex, irrational number. You expected something different?
3 months agoJanuary 2, 2014